Job Requisition Id: 178565
Business Function: Engineering
Primary City: Toronto
Province: Ont. - GTA
Employment Type: Full-Time
Employment Status: Permanent
Language Requirement: English Essential
Employee Class and Level: UPCET02
Number of Vacancies: 1
Recruiter’s name: SARAH ALVAREZ
Position Reports To: LEONID GORIL
Area of Competition: Employees of the Canada Post Corporation in the GTA region who are members of the Public Service Alliance of Canada.
Posting Date (MM/DD/YYYY): 02/22/2024
Closing Date (MM/DD/YYYY): 03/07/2024Job Description
The System Administrator is responsible for supporting and ensuring the high availability of national mail processing equipment infrastructure. This entails the tight management and configuration of numerous servers, workstations, security appliances and network equipment.
Responsibilities also include supporting and advising various internal teams with: system, network and security requirements, sorting equipment design reviews, and implementation/integration and testing activities.
These responsibilities are underpinned by the continuous development and commitment to our precise standards, practices, requirements and procedures.Job Responsibilities
Below are the main job requirements and responsibilities for the System Administrator:
- Investigates and analyzes the feasibility of system requirements for national mail processing systems.
- Prepares technical documentation including control systems and process designs to develop system, network and security specifications within the Mail Processing Equipment (MPE) network and security architecture and framework.
- Provides system expertise and guidance to internal customers. Applies conceptual thinking to complex problems and implements practical solutions to help achieve departmental objectives.
- Implements and maintains plant server infrastructure; this includes: hardware configurations, operating systems, network infrastructure such as security appliance hardware, network switches, routers and virtualization infrastructure.
- Performs proactive system monitoring, integrity checks and ensures continuous availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes.
- Assists with MPE infrastructure administration tasks, with system troubleshooting, configuration, standards compliance in a mixed Windows / Linux environment; Backup/Restore solutions and equipment Disaster Recovery Plans.
- Maintains and contributes to various control documents such as MPE network security practice, computer room standards, and other standards, procedures and guidelines.
- Monitors and removes viruses, spyware and other non-authorized software or access attempts; as well, assists with intrusion prevention system and anti-virus client and server configuration and maintenance; identifies, evaluates and applies patches and upgrades on a regular basis.
- Reviews project team or contractor change proposals. Participates in software acceptance testing and factory acceptance testing for Mail Processing Equipment and Systems.
- Works with other functional teams (i.e. HO Engineering Design Authorities, Engineering Field Services, Process Engineering, Operations) to resolve system and operational issues and to implement system improvements.
- Performs technical reviews and evaluations of vendor solutions to ensure feasibility and fit with Canada Post standards and practices.
Job Responsibilities (continued)
- A University or college degree/diploma in a related field.
- Designation and or certifications programs may be required for certain positions.
Other Candidate Requirements
- 2-5 years of related work experience is required.
- Experience in an enterprise setting
- Good understanding of Information Technology vs Operational Technology managing a variety of network attached appliances
- Good experience working with Linux and Windows servers, use of best practices for system-level security, configuration management, and performance monitoring
- Applied expertise in automation tools for improved productivity and greater efficiencies
- Network solutions administration certification (ACSA, CCNA, or equivalent) – Preferred
- Network or Cloud Security solutions certification (CISSP, CCSP or equivalent) – Preferred
- Infrastructure virtualization certification (NCP, VCP or equivalent) – Preferred
- Cloud fundamentals certification – Preferred
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong customer service and interpersonal skills
- Excellent time management and analytical skills
- Proven troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
- Abilities in deploying, administrating and supporting complex network environments
- Abilities in deploying and maintaining security appliances for high-availability and isolated network infrastructure
- Self–starter with ability to work as part of a team
Your Official Work Location for this position at Canada Post is 4567 DIXIE RD, MISSISSAUGA ON L4W 1T0. Based on Canada Post's Hybrid Workplace Practice, and the current physical and client/stakeholder-facing requirements of your role, there may be opportunity for you to perform your work from an Alternate Work Location (such as your home). Please note that although you may have the flexibility to work remotely, your team leader may require you to come to your Official Work Location for specific situations including, but not limited to, internet/network connectivity issues, team building, onboarding new employees, technical training, negotiations, labour disruption, project go-live, productivity/performance. You will be responsible to bear all costs related to travelling between your Alternate Work Location and your Official Work Location. Canada Post reserves the right to review the physical or client/stakeholder-facing requirements of your position. Should you wish to explore further flexibility, please speak with your team leader.Safety Sensitive Positions
This position may be considered a Safety Sensitive position.Employment Equity
Canada Post will represent Canada’s diversity and provide a safe and welcoming workplace that embraces and celebrates our differences.
We are committed to employment equity and encourage applications from women, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities and visible minorities.Conflict of Interest
The Conflict of Interest Policy prohibits employees from hiring, supervising or reporting to, directly or indirectly via the reporting hierarchy, their immediate family or close personal relations. Should you feel that you may be in an actual or potential Conflict of Interest in regard to this job opportunity, you must communicate with the designated Human Resources representative.Accommodation
Canada Post is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you are contacted by Canada Post regarding a job opportunity, please advise if you have any restrictions that need to be accommodated. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.Important Message
Your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the requirements as Canada Post cannot make assumptions about your education and experience. We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.Our signature behaviours
Make the call
– We’re empowered to make decisions, respectfully challenge the status quo, and support others to do the same.Know the destination
– We understand Canada Post’s strategy and goals and how we contribute to them, and we move forward with open minds when exploring new approaches. Deliver for others
– We take pride in doing our personal best, demonstrate care for others, and support and encourage them to reach their potential.Ignite our pride
– We play a role in making Canada stronger by celebrating who we are, the communities we service, and issues that matter.Our values
Our Values have three dimensions: “We matter as individuals, We matter to one another, We matter to our country”
I earn the trust
placed in me every day, and I trust
that my safety and well-being are everyone’s top priority.
We do our best work when we trust
We value the trust
Canadians have in us, and understand it is earned with every decision and interaction.RESPECT
I understand respect
is the foundation of a successful workplace.
each other as colleagues and treat each other as we would like to be treated.
our country and the communities we serve, and understand we have a responsibility to be a positive force for change.DELIVER
I challenge myself to safely deliver
every day because what I do matters.
We are a network of people, united by what we accomplish and deliver
a stronger Canada for Canadians is at the heart of what we do